Sunday, May 31, 2009

Cherry Cloufoutis



I usually purchase way too much whenever I go to the farmer's market. Everything look and smell so good. Before I knew it, I came back with a full basket of fruits and vegetables. Then it's a race with the clock to eat everything before they go bad. Last week was actually the first time I've been to the farmer's market for a while, I've been waiting for the summer fruits to start. I came back with cherries, strawberries, peaches, squash blossoms, Chinese broccoli, and a bunch of Chinese long beans. I had the intentions to eat the cherries as they are, but a cherry dessert sounded really good last night. A cloufoutis is like a baked custard, easy and fast to put together. Best part is that I have all the ingredients on hand already. The longest part of the recipe is probably pitting the cherries. Some people will say that is unnecessary, but with Miss T eating it with us, I didn't want her to deal with the pits. My OXO cherry pitter made the process quite fast anyways. Recipe is from Joy of Cooking. The only alternation I've done is replace the cognac with a little almond extract.

Cherry Cloufloutis

1 pound of cherries, pitted
4 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
3/4 cup all purpose flour
pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 375F. Beat the eggs and sugar together until a little foamy and well combined. Stir in milk and extracts. Add the flour a little at time until fully corporate. Finally, add a pinch of salt to enhance the sweetness. Line the bottom of a baking dish with the cherries. Pour the custard mixture over the cherries. Bake at 375F for 10 minutes and then turn down to 350F for another 35-40 minutes or so, until the middle is set. Serve warm with powdered sugar sprinkle on top.

No comments: