Sunday, July 5, 2009

Bread Making


For those who knew us, they will tell you that Chris is the baker in the family. Measuring and being exact were never my thing. I could manage things like tarts and pies because they do not require things to be really exact. Bread making, in my mind, is on a level that I was not interested in getting involved in. Chris made some delicious bread before and all that getting the water to the right temperature for the yeast, timing all the proofs, and kneading does not looked fun to me! That is, until I discovered Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day by Jeff Hertzberg MD and Zoe Francois. It was actually an accidental purchase on my kindle and I decided to keep it anyways. The only thing I had to get was a container big enough to hold the dough while it sit in the refrigerator waiting for me to bake it. I baked my first loaf this morning and it was good (better if I didn't burn the bottom a little bit). It really does only takes about 5 minutes of actual hands on work to start the dough and less when prepping to bake. The dough have not had enough time to get a good flavor yet and the crumb is definitely a little more dense that I would have liked. We'll have to see how the flavor develop as the dough will keep in the refrigerator for 2 weeks. It's no Acme bread, but I will say that it beats a lot of the "artisan bread" that your regular supermarket is selling though. So, for the little amount of work involved, I may be making more bread from now on.

Breakfast

We had the bread for breakfast with some leftover cheese, cold cuts, olive spread and apples. Not the quickest thing in the morning to make, but definitely tasty.

No comments: