Friday, January 1, 2010

Gingerbread Syrup

Gingerbread syrup

Once upon a time, I have a cooking blog. This one has evolved into more of a photo blog with little stories to go with it. I do still cook most days. The idea for this syrup stems from the birthday present I got on my birthday. I love that I could make a really good latte with the machine in less than 5 minutes. But I'm also hooked on the gingerbread latte they sell this time of the year at most chain coffee shops. Instead of buying a bottle of syrup with questionable flavoring, I decided to make my own. This batch came out well enough, but next time I will use some whole cloves to keep the syrup more clear. I don't like my drink to be too sweet, so I made the syrup pretty strong in order to get enough flavor in without adding too much syrup. A teaspoon is usually enough for me. One warning though, Chris had to leave the room while this is simmering on the stove due to the strong ginger vapor started to bother his eyes. I was wearing contacts so it didn't bother me. The effect don't last for too long after it's finish though.

Gingerbread Syrup

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 sticks cinnamon, about 2" each; broken up
1 piece ginger, about 1 1/2" piece; sliced thinly
10 peppercorns
½ tsp. cloves
2 star anise, broken up
dash nutmeg

Bring everything up to a boil. Simmer for 30-45 min. Strain through a fine sieve and cool. Store in the refrigerator.

No comments: