Sunday, February 21, 2010

Productive Sunday

Creamy Chicken Pasta

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I would complain if I have a nice relaxing Sunday just hanging out doing nothing. I could even make that happen if I wanted to. But to me, the best way to spend Sunday is to get ready for the work week ahead, especially in terms of food. (We like to eat around here!) We have been trying to eat more whole grains so getting a head start is pretty important to accomplish that since they do tend to take longer to cook. Today, I made a loaf of brown soda bread (from the current issue of Cooking Light), a loaf of banana bread (from Joy of Cooking, but I made a few changes to suit me), cooked multi-colors rice (mixture of brown, red, and black rice), and also tried a recipe for quinoa pudding (milk, sugar, quinoa). The best part, I even got time to make dinner for tonight.

Creamy Chicken Pasta

I started off thinking that I would make a casserole. But since I had the breads baking in the oven, I just did everything on the stove top instead. I use Wondra flour all the time as thickener instead of a roux to cut down on the fat.

1 lb dried whole wheat spaghetti, broken into shorter pieces
2 cooked chicken breast, cubed
1 onion, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups of mixed cooked vegetables (I used frozen bell pepper, peas and corn cause I needed to use them up)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp Wondra flour
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 cup 2% milk
1/2 cup shredded low-fat three cheese blend
1 - 2 tsp seasoned salt (or salt and black pepper), to taste
handful of flat leave parsley, chopped

Bring water to boil and cook the spaghetti to al dente. Don't overcook since it will heat up a little more in the pan with the sauce. Drain.

While the water is boiling/cooking, cook the onion in olive oil on med-low heat in a 3 quart saute pan until medium brown and smells amazing. Add garlic and cook for another 30 sec. Add the chicken broth and scrape up all the little brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Mix the flour and the milk together and pour into the pan. Cook over medium heat until it starts to thicken. Add the frozen vegetables and chicken to pan to heat through. Mix in the cheese. Season with the seasoned salt, make sure to get it slightly saltier at this point since it will be mixed with the spaghetti. Add the pasta and toss to combine. Finish with chopped parsley.

No comments: